Alternative Treatments for Diabetes
Diabetes is a disease that affects every organ system in your body. In addition to the traditional medicines that are used for the treatment of diabetes, there are some very good alternative medicines and treatments that will help you cope with this condition. The following while not a complete list, will get you started on the road to health.
- The cornerstone of diabetes treatment is exercise and weight loss. While this may seem simplistic, the importance of doing these cannot be overemphasized. If you can lose just 10% of your body weight your diabetes can be much better controlled. For weight control, we favor high protein, low carbohydrate diets. It is a matter of physics that if you eat fewer calories than you burn every day you are guaranteed to lose weight. Your exercise program need not be complicated or painful. If you would just take 20 minutes a day to do something as simple as just take a walk, it would help control your diabetes. If you could do something that would make you sweat, breathe hard and your heart pump fast every day that would be even better. There is a free, very good weight loss app called MyFitnessPal. I would highly recommend it.
- For your general health, I would recommend a mega-multi-vitamin that has a complete formula with special emphasis on the B vitamins. I recommend Ultra Preventive 3 at Lakeshore pharmacy or MegaVital Gel IRON FREE from Puritan's Pride online. I would not recommend Centrum or One A Day vitamins as they do not have enough of anything in them. If you do not like these for some reason I would recommend going to a health food store and asking them for their best multivitamin supplement.
- Diabetics have a much higher incidence of heart attacks and strokes. It is absolutely essential that you take four to 6000 mg of fish oil capsules a day. This decreases your risk of a heart attack or stroke by up to 50%.
- Chromium picolinate will help you lose weight and helps control your blood sugar. I would recommend 400 or 500mcg twice a day.
- Soluble fiber lowers your blood sugar and can help you lose weight also. If you're trying to lose weight I would recommend a teaspoon of orange-flavored Metamucil in 10 ounces of water before each meal. If you cannot do this then I would recommend two or 3 teaspoons of Metamucil in 10 ounces of water before (if you want to lose weight) or after your evening meal.
- Most diabetics are vitamin D deficient and should take extra vitamin D. I would recommend at least 5000 international units a day. You will not be able to get this from your multivitamin.
- Co-enzyme Q10 will help you with your blood pressure and diabetic control. I would recommend 200 mg taken with your fish oil.
- If you have any diabetic neuropathy I would also recommend 600 mg a day of alpha lipoic acid. This supplement will also help you lose weight.