Tips for better sleep
- Nothing in bed but sleep and sex
- Do not have a clock you can see in the bedroom
- 20 minute rule: if you can't go back to sleep in about 20 minutes, get up and go to another room and do something light until you get sleepy again
- Worry pad next to the bed: if you wake up in the middle of the night and worry about a task the next day, write it down on your worry pad and forget about it until morning
- Keep your room cool, quiet, and dark
- Exercise at least 30 minutes a day
- Get up and go to bed at the same time in the morning and evening
- Try up to 3mg of Melatonin at night
- No caffeine past noon
- Don't let the bed become a place to worry
Helpful sleep resources
- A good book about worry and stress that uses cognitive behavioral therapy (the only method that has been proven to work) is Feeling Good Handbook.
- Mind over Mood: Change How You Feel by Changing the Way You Think
- Quiet Your Mind and Get to Sleep
- There are many sites on the internet explaining the basics of cognitive behavioral therapy
- Some helpful mobile apps are Mindfulness Meditation and Simply Being Guided Meditation from the app store.
Remember that God is in control of all of our circumstances. Be Still and Know that I am God. If you follow the above you will sleep better. Be Patient. You WILL get better.
Need a primary care physician?
Live a healthier life with our relationship-based primary care. We can help you choose a physician that meets your needs and fits your schedule.