General Health Advice
- For your general health, I would recommend a mega-multi-vitamin that has a complete formula with special emphasis on the B vitamins. I recommend Ultra Preventive 3 at Lakeshore pharmacy or MegaVital Gel IRON FREE from Puritan's Pride online. I would not recommend Centrum or One A Day vitamins as they do not have enough of anything in them. If you do not like these for some reason I would recommend going to a health food store and asking them for their best multivitamin supplement.
- Natural Alternatives for Lowering Cholesterol: Tree nuts (walnuts, almonds and pecans) can lower your cholesterol by 20%. Eat 2-3 oz. per day. Benecol or Promise Activ lower it also. These are butter substitutes you can buy at the grocery store. Use these instead of butter or margarine. Red Yeast Rice will dramatically lower your cholesterol. And don't forget the fish oil! Get enough to give you 2000-3000 mg of DHA and EPA per day. Look on the back of the bottle of fish or krill oil to see how much actual Omega-3 you are getting per capsule. This is about what you get when you take 6000 mg per day of regular fish oil.
- Chromium picolinate will help you lose weight and helps control your blood sugar. I would recommend 400 or 500mcg twice a day.
- Most people are vitamin D deficient and should take extra vitamin D. I would recommend at least 5000 international units of Vitamin D3 a day. You will not be able to get this from your multivitamin.
- Co-enzyme Q10 will help you with your blood pressure and diabetic control. I would recommend 200 mg taken with your fish oil.